22.1 C
Nigeria
Friday, August 21, 2026




Anambra Police Arrest 4 as Man Sends Thugs to Kill Friend After Collecting Millions from Him to Buy Land

 

By Izunna Okafor, Awka

The Anambra State Police Command has uncovered the circumstances surrounding the death of a 56-year-old man, Mr. Kelechi Madu, who was reported missing in Awkuzu, Oyi Local Government Area of the State, with the arrest of four suspects, including a friend of the deceased who allegedly masterminded the killing.

The development is coming barely two days after Madu was reported missing by his wife, following his disappearance after he left home on the evening of August 17, 2026.

According to a statement issued by the Police Public Relations Officer, SP Tochukwu Ikenga, the deceased’s wife reported the matter to the Police on August 18 after her husband failed to return home.

Ikenga said Police operatives, working with members of a local vigilante group and the deceased’s family, immediately commenced inquiries and a search for the missing man.

According to the Police Spokesman, the search, however, took a tragic turn later that evening when the deceased’s wife returned to the Police station in distress to report that her husband’s body had been discovered in a nearby bush at Umuobi, Awkuzu.

He said the police operatives subsequently moved to the scene, where Madu was found dead with a deep axe cut to his head.

The body of the deceased was consequently evacuated from the scene and deposited in a hospital for preservation as police investigators commenced efforts to establish how he was killed and who was responsible.

The investigation, it was gathered, subsequently led to the arrest of a friend of the deceased, identified as Mr. Ifeanyi Nwankwo, aged 32.

According to the Police Spokesman, Nwankwo, upon interrogation, confessed to being involved in the planning of Madu’s murder and reportedly implicated two other persons whom he allegedly engaged to carry out the killing.

Preliminary findings by the Police indicate that the motive for the alleged murder may have been connected to a fraudulent land transaction.

The Police spokesman said Nwankwo had allegedly obtained money from Madu under the pretext of helping him acquire a piece of land.

The suspect was then alleged to have resorted to plotting Madu’s murder in an attempt to conceal the transaction and prevent the deceased from recovering or exposing the money he had allegedly obtained from him.

The Command said the investigation was still ongoing, with efforts being intensified to establish the full circumstances surrounding the killing and apprehend every person connected with the alleged conspiracy.

According to the PPRO, while reacting to the development, the State Commissioner of Police, CP Nnanna Oji Ama, according to the Police statement, has directed that the investigation be further intensified to identify and arrest all persons involved in the conspiracy and murder.

The latest case adds to the Police Command’s ongoing efforts to unravel violent crimes through intelligence-led investigations and cooperation with communities.

The Command also assured residents that it would continue to strengthen its partnership with members of the public and local security structures to prevent violent crimes, uncover criminal activities and ensure that persons found responsible are brought to justice.

Related Articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Latest Articles